Calorie Friendly Pizza.....
Who doesn't love pizza!?
I for one, certainly do and the thought of going 12 weeks without one during my strip down made me literally feel 'down'.
Considering the average 12" chicken pizza with cheese has over 1000 calories and over 50g of fat (my total fat allowance for the day in one meal!), I wanted to make a (albeit smaller) calorie friendly version that fits with my daily macros so I could feel like I wasn't totally depriving myself of anything remotely naughty - even though it isn't actually that bad (macro wise).
As with anything, life is all about balance. We can still enjoy meals like this and other tasty treats if we make sure we stick to our daily calorie and macros throughout the rest of the day.
The thing I love most about the base (protein wrap) is that it's super low carb (only 3.9g per wrap) so it's not like all your carbs will be taken up for the rest of the day like other pizzas. Also it packs an amazing 13g of protein per piece so with the extra protein from the chicken and cheese, you're getting a pretty decent amount in just one meal.
Read on below for instructions on how to make this yummy, lighter pizza that will put a smile on your face if you're currently watching what you eat and thought pizza couldn't fit into your current daily menu.
Calorie and macro details and also listed below for those of you who are using the myfitnesspal app to track your daily intake.
- 1 medium Protein Wrap (I used Modern bakery)
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 20g Cheddar cheese
- 1 Chicken breast
- 1 Tspn Pesto
- 10g Spinach
- 1 Fresh Basil leaf (chopped)
- Dried Oregano to taste
- Mushrooms, peppers, onion etc.
- Turn on grill to 190-200 degrees Celsius.
- Baste chicken in pesto sauce and cook chicken for 15-20 minutes under the grill.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove from the grill and set aside.
- Place the wraps on an oven grill rack and heat for 3-5 minutes then turn over. This makes the wraps base slightly toasted. Make sure you don't burn the edges though!
- When the wraps are a little toasted, add the tomato paste and spread over the base on one side.
- Chop the chicken into small pieces and add to the pizza.
- Sprinkle over the cheese evenly and place back under the grill.
- Lave to cook for 5 minutes then remove and add the chopped basil, oregano and spinach.
- Place under grill for another 2-3 minutes then serve.
Total calories: 355
(Calories and macros are approximate and will vary depending on the brands you use)
Additional veggies will add more calories but also provide you with more nutrition so if you have the calories to spare then add some extra toppings for an even more delicious pizza!
Enjoy and until next time...
x Jen x