Pssst...Healthy Pancake Alert!
First off; Who loves pancakes? I’ll keep this short and sweet (literally) so you can go and make them immediately - you will want to!
I have such a sweet tooth and I’m always looking for healthy treats to fit in with my day to day diet and especially after indulging over the Christmas period, it's time to get back on track.
Pancakes used to be my weekend treat but for the past couple of weeks, I’ve been eating them every day or two – but guess what! They’re not a naughty treat anymore, they’re super healthy and taste unbelievable. Like, I actually sit there and wonder how they are only made from a couple of ingredients because they taste that good!
I admit, in the past, I used make my pancakes with white flour and slather on nutella, because, well, it just tastes sooooo good! I always felt guilty afterwards though as the nutella, as most of us know, is full of hydrogenated vegetable oil and with the flour, it was a pretty calorific and macro unfriendly snack.
This pancake recipe is a complete flip (sorry, I had to) of the old flour laden pancakes and only requires 3 main ingredients to make the batter and I don't even feel like I'm missing out on the chocolate as the berries and coconut milk give it such an amazing flavour.
Here’s the approximate calories and macro breakdown…
Total calories: 230
(using myfitness pal, values may not be exact depending on brands of berries and size difference of banana etc)
Vanilla protein powder : ½ scoop
Banana, mashed: 1/2
Egg: 1 /2
Cinnamon: ½ tsp
Coconut oil for cooking
Cacao nibs (optional): 1 tsp
Mixed Berries: ½ Cup
Coconut milk: 1 Tbsp
1. In a mixing bowl, mash the banana with a fork
2. Add protein powder, egg and cinnamon and mix together until combined.
3. Incorporate a dash water of your choice of milk to the batter if it’s too thick.
4. Add a small amount of coconut oil to the pan over a medium heat and pour in batter in batches.
5. Heat a plate in the microwave to keep cooked pancakes warm.
6. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until browned and transfer to the warm plate in the microwave.
7. Once all the pancakes are cooked, add the berries and coconut milk to the pan and stir for a few seconds before adding them to the pancakes.
8. Sprinkle with optional cacao nibs.
They're super quick and easy to make and great as a breakfast, snack or desert!
Give them a try and enjoy!
Until next time...